Sunday, May 16, 2010

renewing my appreciation for Canadian broad bandwidth

So I started my morning with an 8am registration, for the conference, and a breakfast of fresh fruit. We shuffled into our presentation rooms, with the first session being a 2.5 hour workshop entitled "Going global and mobile – Developing media for global learning".
As things go it was very "newbie" centric, and the tools were not what I could present to our faculty at BCIT, if I expected them to embrace the tools "ease of use". Most ironic was the session title, and my growing frustration over our lack of wireless connectivity. My mobile devices where running low on battery and there was only one plug in the room (already in use). So my first session... to summarize, on global and mobile learning, had no access to its resources, had no ability to keep the mobile devices running, and the tools presented where not "easy" to use. Its time to hit the pool and restart this conference with the keynote (in the afternooon).
I am always reminded, when I go to these types of conferences, that we are spoiled in North America with our connection speed and reliability, and I am asking new questions about how to go mobile and global, when the rest of the world just is not so fortunate.

No comments: